RV defense

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Knobs Wrote:
I also don't trust all LEOs I might come in contact with, from county sheriffs to small town police, to understand what is legal WRT firearms for out of state travelers.

Not just uneducated LEOs, New Jersey for a fact has a good number of leftist-activist judges that think the CoUSA is out dated and they know better.

Ray-in, A Police Commissioner in one of those states just said that he will treat a Byrna as a firearm.

On another different note: When I travel I used to like to shoot in local pistol matches. I have to bring ammunition that I know for both the center and rim fire. My insurance has written me that if either of my target pieces is confiscated by any LEO for any reason they will not cover them at all, let alone at the appraised values. Both are stainless and seriously worked. The rimfire's paper is only about 2500. But the .45 is over 5000 and it took more than a year to get it right.

So, if I can't go there to shoot, I have to come up with some other reason.

Matt

Makes me wonder what you guys are doing in your RV that allows LEO's to see your guns.
I've traveled all over the US and have only ever had one conversation with an LEO about guns. The LEO said, "too bad you didn't have a gun." I said, "No, too bad the dog didn't wake me up." End of conversation.
I bought my coach from an LEO. Last thing he did before he let me take the coach was to double check a couple of cabinets to make sure he had all his guns out of it. Since I full time, I carry all the guns I own, but I'd have to have bigger problems than the guns before an LEO would ever see one. They aren't exactly out in plain sight.

I wonder how many actual times an RVer has needed to use a firearm for protection. Does anyone have any data or even know of instances?
Interesting question.

So far, I have only heard of RVers being murdered perhaps because they did NOT have a gun. But it's hard to say for sure without all the details.

Such as this case. I have heard of many others. But the exact details are hard to come by. So the question remains, would a gun have saved them? I do not know. But having a gun handy certainly could not have hurt that couple of RVers.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Call 1-911.
That was cute! Made me laugh.

But there are probably many here that do not know that a "1911" is another name for a .45 automatic. It was designed in 1911.

Army infantry used the Colt 1911 in Vietnam. Usually carried by the machine gunner. In some infantry companies by those stuck with the M-79 grenade launcher.

In my infantry company (B-3-8, 4TH infantry Div, 1969/70) it was always the one who also carried the M-60 machine gun.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Since I full time, I carry all the guns I own, but I'd have to have bigger problems than the guns before an LEO would ever see one. They aren't exactly out in plain sight.
Same, but then the ethical question... If pulled over in a no-carry state for xyz reason, LEO says, do you have a firearm, you start to sweat, what do you say?

That was cute! Made me laugh.

But there are probably many here that do not know that a "1911" is another name for a .45 automatic. It was designed in 1911.

Army infantry used the Colt 1911 in Vietnam. Usually carried by the machine gunner. In some infantry companies by those stuck with the M-79 grenade launcher.

In my infantry company (B-3-8, 4TH infantry Div, 1969/70) it was always the one who also carried the M-60 machine gun.

-Don- Auburn, CA
Actually that's the design of the platform. 45 is probably the most common caliber you'll find on a 1911 but there are others, with 9mm being quite popular now as well. (I like 45 acp. It's old and slow but gets the job done, just like me)

Makes me wonder what you guys are doing in your RV that allows LEO's to see your guns.
I've traveled all over the US and have only ever had one conversation with an LEO about guns. The LEO said, "too bad you didn't have a gun." I said, "No, too bad the dog didn't wake me up." End of conversation.
I bought my coach from an LEO. Last thing he did before he let me take the coach was to double check a couple of cabinets to make sure he had all his guns out of it. Since I full time, I carry all the guns I own, but I'd have to have bigger problems than the guns before an LEO would ever see one. They aren't exactly out in plain sight.

More like thinking through scenarios. In the event of an accident, just about anything you have stored in your RV might just end up in plain sight.

Actually that's the design of the platform. 45 is probably the most common caliber you'll find on a 1911 but there are others, with 9mm being quite popular now as well. (I like 45 acp. It's old and slow but gets the job done, just like me)
Yeah, I own 1911's in other calibers. But wasn't it originally designed with the 45 cal?

Much like the AR-15 platform can cover any caliber. Such as my AR-57 and countless others that are not .223/5.56mm.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I believe you’re right Don regarding .45. I’ve got a US Govt Ithaca that is a Korean combat loss weapon. I understand Singers (the sewing machine company) are rare 1911’s ftom that era. I’ve got at least 3 colts in 45. 2 Kimbers. And a Colt Delta Elite in 10 mm. I’ve also got a Kimber micro 9 in the scarlet and gray OSU model.

I don't answer questions.

I don't have an opinion on this either way, but what do you think would be worse? Not answering, potentially being detained and having your RV impounded and searched until the answer is known?
Or being truthful with the officer.

Every situation is different, but if you refused to answer a question about if you had a firearm, LEOs I believe basically consider that to be a "yes" until proven otherwise.

Anyone care to comment, or know?

I don't have an opinion on this either way, but what do you think would be worse? Not answering, potentially being detained and having your RV impounded and searched until the answer is known?

Every situation is different, but if you refused to answer a question about if you had a firearm, LEOs I believe basically consider that to be a "yes" until proven otherwise.

Depends on the state but I believe in some states you do not have to answer any questions. You do have to produce license, insurance and registration. Some states do require you to give LE your name if asked.

I understand Singers (the sewing machine company)
That reminds me of when my Army AIT class had it's very first lesson on the M2 50 cal machine gun.

"Who designed the 50 Cal Machine Gun?" as we were looking at one from a distance. First question we were asked, just to see if any of us would have a clue. People would guess "Colt, etc." and all answers were incorrect.

Then we were told. Companies such as Singer, GM, etc.

The one we had there was made by General Motors.

It makes sense as they too have pistons, cylinders, etc.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Don,
I find it amazing that nobody in the group knew that the old Ma-Duce was another of John Moses Browning's creations.
And yes, during WWII everybody was making everything. I had 2 1911s that were not Colts. One was an American Switch and Signal. (That one got sold to a collector for a lot of money.)

I have to sicker about those like Rod (Oldgator) being nervous when they see someone with a piece in open carry. A person with a piece open carried is no threat at all. He has that for a reason and wants others (who might be a threat) to know he has it.
You should worry about the people that are carrying concealed. Those without and good reason could be a serious threat.
Matt

I don't disagree with anything you said. It seems to me if you're carrying illegally and know it then admitting to it will almost certainly warrant further investigation.

By stating something to the effect of I prefer to keep my answers to questions directly regarding the stop. You could add on the advice of counsel but I don't think that would be helpful. This way your not lying and complying with all legal request; you are under no obligation to answer questions.

ETA: Then they'll just get a drug sniffing dog, walk your vehicle and say the dog hit on something and proceed to ransack your vehicle.

So, I'd like to actually respond to the original topic. We are RV newbies, and (as of this posting anyway) don't have a safe place to store any firearms in our TT yet. The wife and I both have CCP in our home state of Pa. We do carry from time to time.

We live in an old house in an old neighborhood with houses close together. Over-penetration is of great concern in our case. So, for home defense we opted for revolvers loaded with shotshell-style pellets (forgive me, I don't remember what they are called). This solution is a tradeoff though. In order to stop an intruder with this type of round would probably take all 6 rounds. So, judicious aim is important. I would keep this in mind if you're thinking of a shotgun with #7 bird shot or something.

We also opted to take the Utah CCP class. This covers a bunch more states.
I grew up in NJ (live in Pa now), still have family there. A retired NJ LEO told me once, possessing a hollow point bullet (even without a firearm) in NJ is a felony. That's how strict they are there.

I want to add that some of the nicest people we've ever met have been camping this past year. This doesn't mean I won't be careful.

For now, our plans don't include camping in NJ...or NY. If that changes, we will have to make the decision then.
I hope I responded to the original topic (and only drifted slightly). 2A topics are for another forum I would think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Praise Bus
Back
Top Bottom