Trip to Bourbon Street

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my travels when telling people I was from New Jersey, they would always say that I don't sound like someone from New Joisey... :p

My problem with that video is they talk about the diversity of food around Louisiana, yet every place they showed in the video were within about a 50 mile radius of New Orleans. You can't talk about north Louisiana catfish, then show Catfish cooked in New Orleans, and south of I-12 on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain

Anyone who lives in NYS will tell you when traveling and asked where you are from, Buffalo, NY, they'll go on and think Buffalo is a suburb of NY City. Tell them that Buffalo and NY are 500 miles apart and their jaw drops.
And let's not even get started discussing exactly what areas of NY are considered "Upstate". :ROFLMAO:

Anyone who lives in NYS will tell you when traveling and asked where you are from, Buffalo, NY, they'll go on and think Buffalo is a suburb of NY City. Tell them that Buffalo and NY are 500 miles apart and their jaw drops.

My sister had a 10 acre place in Bergen NY. I didn't understand "lake effect" snow until I visited her in the winter...

On the bright side I took my kid up there every summer for about 4 years helping her with projects. It was like a dude ranch, for real...

1707833607615.png

Reactions: SMR
So, yesterday was my first experience in New Orleans and Bourbon Street. First impression, filthy. Not just in the French Qtr., but everywhere coming into and the city areas are dirty. Interstate 10, US 90 and local streets are filthy. The streets and public restrooms around the French Qtr. and Market are disgusting. Doesn't the city have street cleaners out at night and why don't the merchants hose down the sidewalks in front of their businesses first thing in the morning like you'll see in Manhattan?

Did we have fun and enjoy the day, Absolutely! Ecceltic, strange, good food, very very friendly people and great service every place we stopped, reasonable prices and something for all. Since we visited between 10 AM and 5 PM we felt very safe in our surroundings and did not encounter many vagrants, homeless, drunks, or druggies. However, we'll see tonight as we head back into town at 2 PM and then over to Frenchman St. to catch some music.

Overall, enjoying (wife and I) our first visit to NOLA to find out what's it all about and the trip has been great so far.

why don't the merchants hose down the sidewalks in front of their businesses first thing in the morning like you'll see in Manhattan?
I stayed there for 2 weeks for some tech training and walked past Bourbon St. every morning.
They DO hose it down every morning. Then the sun hits the wet cement and decades of decadence vaporizes into a foul funky smell that makes a full porta-potty on a hot day seem like a rose.

Ah the smell of Bourbon Street on a Sunday Afternoon, that mix of stale vomit and urine from Friday and Saturday night mixed in with rotting garbage, etc.

The last trip my wife and I took was to NO. Stayed right on St. Charles avenue in the Garden District. Walked right out of our hotel room and got on the streetcar. Yes, it was named Desire. Went uptown exploring and into the Quarter. Even did a midnight ghost tour. Didn't have a problem. Both my wife and I have been to numerous big cities and lived in a few so we are 'street savvy.' No real issues with safety. Ate and a few local places. The best was Drago's at the Hilton. Fantastic grilled oysters. Pulled a few Chef strings at a few places to get a kitchen tour. Commanders Palace was closed when we were there but I understand that it has re-opened under new management.

Frenchman St. last night a blast! Alive and very organic music scene. Drink prices a little high but hey I'm a tourist. No issues with not feeling safe and again very friendly atmosphere both patrons and staff at the clubs visited.

Time to head back to the camper, Uber picked us up in 3 mins and a $20 ride to the campground, Judes Travel Park

Central Grocery is temporarily closed due to damage from a storm. Got our muffalota at Frank's next door and definitely a disappointment for $30.
Well darn. Wonder if it will be open by early May? Thanks for the heads up about Frank's.

I am so glad you came by to tell us about your experience.
Frenchman St. last night a blast!
What type of drinks do you guys order? Cocktails or beer?

Have you tried the streetcars? Or the Ferry?

organic music
I am dumb. What is organic music?

How long will you be there?

Do you like Judes travel park?

Thanks for your report!

Central Grocery is temporarily closed due to damage from a storm. Got our muffalota at Frank's next door and definitely a disappointment for $30.
They were closed when I was there a bit over a year ago, but at that time had a sign up saying re-opening summer 2023, I guess they are behind schedule

You might also try Mulates restaurant in the warehouse district, just across the street from the west end entrance to the Riverwalk Mall. They serve more authentic Cajun style food, compared to most of the stuff you find in new Orleans is more Creole style, or Creole mash up. Though in recent years they seem to be more influenced by the New Oreleans creole spices (Mulates original location was in Breaux Bridge, but was damaged by one of the hurricanes around 2005), they opened their New Orleans location (now only location) about 20 years.

Didn't do street cars because we stayed walking French Quarter. Camp friends have in past and loved them, but looked at a day pass other day and told $46! No.

Organic music, very New Orleans/guess Bayou street music....horns, guitar, washboard, simple drumming, almost a local hillbilly sound. Enjoyed for a night out, wouldn't listen to all day.

Judes Travel Park, bout 9 from French Quarter. Provide s daytime shuttle to FQ, $15 a couple each way, schedule of times. With four of us charged $20 each way. Uber bout same price, maybe couple $$ more making Judes very convenient to FQ. Now, Park nothing to right home about, basically a parking lot with good FHU utilities, very close together sites. But, the nicest most helpful CG owners we've encountered who live insight, immaculate modern bath/shower, gated and secure. At $52 night (less Good Sam) least expensive Close to downtown CG you'll find in NO

Don't miss WWll National Museum! Probably will not finish in one day. Anyone who served will be especially moved (and admitted free).

Don't miss WWll National Museum! Probably will not finish in one day. Anyone who served will be especially moved (and admitted free).
When we were there a couple years ago they were in process of what looked like some pretty major new additions and/or upgrades. But even then the museum was awesome and as you point out, difficult to even begin to see it all in one day.

Back
Top Bottom